As an internet user, you may have run into the same content multiple times in your search results and wondered – why is this the same article on multiple websites? This can be problematic because most search engines will penalize a website if it has duplicate content or if it has similar content that other sites have published. It is therefore important to understand the dangers of duplicate content and how to avoid them.
What is duplicate content?
Duplicate content is when you have two or more pieces of content on the internet that are similar or very similar. This can be a problem because it confuses search engines, hurting your ranking or visibility. Additionally, it can result in wasted crawl budget when search engines spend time crawling and indexing pages that don’t add anything new to their database. Search engines also often penalize sites with duplicate content. In other words, they assign them lower rankings than they deserve for various factors like relevancy and trustworthiness.
Why you should avoid it
Duplicate content is a major problem for website owners and can lead to search engine penalties, decreased traffic, and other problems. There are a few ways to avoid duplicate content, including using original content, using canonical tags, and avoiding scrapers.
- Avoiding plagiarism: Plagiarism can also be considered duplicate content, so it’s important to ensure you don’t copy-paste content from other websites or sources.
- Be careful with online tools: It’s easy to accidentally paste copied text from the web when using tools like Google Docs or your blog editor – be careful!
- Images: If you’re using free images that have been used on other sites, make sure they’re credited correctly and follow Creative Commons licenses.
- Avoid scraping: Scraping involves copying content from one site and then pasting it into another site without giving credit to the original author.
- Avoid words: Some people post phrases repeatedly on social media sites just to increase their reach – avoid this at all costs!
How to avoid it
You can do a few things to avoid duplicate content on your website. First, make sure that all of your content is original. This means writing your articles or hiring writers who will create original content for you. Secondly, if you do use any content from other sources, be sure to cite it properly. Finally, use a tool like Copyscape to check for duplicate content before you publish anything on your site. It’s not just Google looking for duplicates, so this proactive measure is always worth the time and effort. Shopify SEO services and SEO services Canada can also help by making sure your pages have relevant keywords in their metadata and title tags. If you need more advice on avoiding duplicate content, consult a professional SEO company.