Hair coloring is a fashionable procedure among both men and women. It is the type of service most often chosen in hair salons. But have you heard of hair coloring with henna? This term is most often used in the context of eyebrows. However, few people know that it can also be applied to hair. Learn more about henna and hair henna in the following article.
Henna for hair is a natural alternative to toxic dyes. It has been known to humans for a long time. For many generations, Indian women used it for coloring. Over time, it gained popularity in other parts of the world as well.
Henna for hair is a greener and much cheaper option for coloring. It contains minerals that nourish the hair. Among them are magnesium, potassium and calcium. Henning the hair strengthens it from the inside and ensures that a barrier is formed on it to protect it from external factors.
What is henna made from?
Henna is made from the leaves and shoots of the defenseless lavsonia. It is a plant that grows in India, Australia and Africa. It was already known in ancient Egypt. At that time, hair, nails and hands were painted with this dye. The leaves of this plant were dried and crushed and mixed with lime milk. This is how henna turned red, and when the mixture was combined with dyes – brown and yellow.
Henna is good for both skin and hair
Henna paintings on the skin last about 3 weeks. They are popular in India, but are also performed in other parts of the world. Usually henna is used to color eyebrows and eyelashes. It makes them darker for several weeks.
How to henna your hair? Step by step
- Wash your hair thoroughly with shampoo and a little baking soda. This will open the scales of the hair and the henna will be better absorbed.
- After washing, exceptionally do not use any conditioner. There must not be any chemical substance on the hair during henna treatment.
- According to the manufacturer’s recommendations, prepare the coloring mixture. Slowly add water until the mixture is uniform. It must not be too liquid, because then it will be difficult to apply it to the hair. You can perform this step a few hours before you start the treatment.
- Protect the skin of your neck and face with an oily cream. This way you will make your skin clean after coloring.
- Use gloves on your hands and apply the henna to the entire length of your hair.
- Roll the hair thoroughly covered with henna into a bun, then wrap it in aluminum foil and put on a cap. This way the henna will not drip off.
- Keep the henna on your hair for an hour or more. The longer it is on your hair, the more intense the color will be.
- Rinse your hair with warm water. Do not wash them for another 48 hours. This is the time it takes for the dye from the plant to absorb.
- Dyeing hair with henna requires patience, but it is much cheaper and healthier for the hair. This type of coloring is worth considering!
main photo: unsplash.com/Oleg Ivanov